Sunday 20 November 2016

A Misplaced Sense of Generosity



A few weeks ago, I made a huge mistake; a mistake that I am not likely to repeat in a hurry or ever at all. It was one of those warm and balmy days, when you are not very clear about whether you want the windows all the way down or whether you want to roll them up and turn on the air-conditioning. The music wasn’t too great and after switching a few channels, I gave up and turned it off. At a traffic signal, I was waiting for the proverbial green light, looking around me in that curiously inquisitive, prying and yet not prying fashion. I noticed a man gesticulating wildly behind a rolled up window at a lady who looked like she wished desperately she was somewhere else. I felt sorry for her and wished there was some way in which she could shut the big man up when I heard a gentle knock on the car window.

I turned and almost cursed out loud that I had left my window open. There was a girl standing at the window, tanned almost black from being out in the sun every day, hair all frizzy and bleached brown at the ends, eyes straight and staring, a sort of searching look in them, as if she was expecting to see something in my face. She wore old clothes that looked like hand me downs that were at least a couple of sizes too big for her. She carried a bunch of pencils in her hand, the kind that were fat and long with a plastic animal figure at the wrong end.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not one of those persons who roll up their car windows at the sight of every person at the traffic light who is approaching. I am what one would consider a conveniently generous person. I am not very big on people begging. And usually turn the other way - except when it comes to older people. I usually call out and give them something from the wallet. And I do not give any money to kids or young people. I always think that they can work and earn something and so my lack of a response. I am not overly generous or anything even remotely like that; just the usual Joe that gives some money to some older people. I just heard a day or two ago that giving money to people at street corners is a good way of making yourself feel better. Truth-be-told, I had never thought about it like that. But that got me thinking as to why I had ever started doing it and I didn’t have an honest answer.

So that day, I decided to break the routine just to examine my own reaction. So, I just took out my wallet and gave her a Re 10 note. And was trying to keep my wallet back in when she leaned in and asked me for an additional Re 10. My cynicism flared up and I almost retorted angrily that there was a limit to my generosity when she brandished the pencils and asked me which one I wanted. I gently tried to tell her that I didn’t want a pencil since my son couldn’t use them when she gave me back my Re 10 note. I was surprised at that and told her that she could keep the note. In the meantime, an older woman walked up right next to her and protectively put a hand on the girl’s shoulder as if I was likely to mean her some harm. The older woman seemed to ask the girl what the matter was or some such thing in a language I could not decipher at all and there was a furious exchange of words.

Then it was the woman’s turn. She took the note from the girl and gave it to me saying that they wouldn’t accept anything for free. I could buy a pencil for Rs 20 or take back the note. I saw the flash of pride and self-respect in their eyes and couldn’t help but admire the principle on which they stood while the afternoon sun beat strongly on their nearly frail shoulders. And I wished the earth could open up and swallow me then and there as I had tried to do something that I had in principle not ever done. Suffice it to say that as the light turned green, I was the proud owner of a long blue pencil with an elephant at one end and was lighter by Rs 20. I gave my son the pencil that day and he turned up his eyebrows but started using it for the sheer novelty of a pencil that big. I don’t consider myself a bigot but I sure as hell had a bias that might not sound as severe as a racial one but was as bad when you think of it. And I am sure happy that people can stand on principle even when faced with adversity and don’t have to be national heroes or martyrs to be able to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment